November 6th Part 2. To London to meet the very lovely Holly Becker aka @Decor8 and fellow #bywbootcamp bloggers

[caption id="attachment_1481" align="aligncenter" width="560"] Photos by Gabriella Buckingham. Top: Images from the book: right - Holly's own space. Bottom: article in The Simple Things magazine: book jacket converts to inspiring poster![/caption]

Arriving at Anthropologie at 4.50ish I realised that I needn't have worried about showing my invitation which I'd left unprinted in my email. The shop was open - naturally.

I wandered about enjoying brightly coloured confections everywhere I looked, working my way around the floors. Finally at the top I saw stacks of Holly's beautifully designed books.

This was the British press launch of Decorate Workshop: A Creative 8 Step Process For Transforming Your Home by Holly Becker with photography by Debi Treloar.

Quickly I bought one only to have the shop assistant take it away and give me a receipt instead to furnish Holly with ( so she would sign a copy later and save my arms). That was a great idea. Only I knew I'd have to leave to catch my train at 7.45.

Later when I introduced myself to Holly I had grabbed another copy and foisted it on her to sign which she very graciously did.

[caption id="attachment_1482" align="aligncenter" width="560"] Bottom right: Holly with James Leland Day - a stylist from New York whose home appears in Decorate Workshop[/caption]

I am so pleased to have made the effort to go. Like many bloggers I'd gone alone but I did know there would be at least a couple of familiar faces  there. I met  Fiona Humberstone for the second time, who runs a fabulous brand styling business and on line course which I highly recommend. There were oodles of blogging boot campers and other professional bloggers, a handful of whom I did manage to chat to or at least say hello to.  Lady in red Tiff, Adri, Yvonne, Kirsty, Geraldine, Rona, Anna and wonderful photographer Ingrid. Let me know if I missed you out , I know I spoke to others!

Champagne and cake were served. I managed to ignore the cake, which was difficult believe me. Holly spoke about her 8 step process to guide people through decorating projects while being interviewed by the very popular  Will from Bright Bazaar 

James Leland Day then spoke about his approach to styling before the book signing. Sadly I then had to dash off to catch my train home to Norfolk.

On the way home I looked through Holly's wonderful book. I definitely found it inspiring. Daunting in some ways because Holly encourages you to really examine your own taste and why you like what you do. It is suggested that you write on the pages of the book and explore your own loves and translate these for your home or project. Subsequently though I found myself reassured that my own home may be messy but there are certainly many very personal quirks and beautiful things to make more of. I will enjoy working my way through and playing in earnest early next year.

Thank you for a memorable day Holly; I wouldn't have been in London had it not been for your invitation and Blogging Your Way Bootcamp.

Comments

  1. Haha Lady in red-love it! It was so lovely to finally meet you Gabs :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely Gabs for the mention. What a great event and what a pleasure to meet so many amazing people! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds you had a great day! I really would have loved to be there, but that was a bit out of the question LOL. I ordered my copy of Holly's book at Bookdepository, it should arrive this week. I can't wait. Thank you for the recap and the lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're quite a story teller, it sounds like a live reportage! It's delightful the way you put it, so pleasant to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gabs, thanks for the mention. It was lovely meeting you too and hope to meet again soon. By the way, love the photos and the write up :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely way to finish the BYW class, I wish I lived closer.
    I'm glad I found your blog, it is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI AGAIN, I CLICKED THE LITTLE FOLLOW TAB TO THE RIGHT AND HOPE THAT I WILL RECEIVE E-MAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF YOUR NEW POSTS. I LOVE YOUR BLOG, YOUR ART AND YOUR WEBSITE. ANDREA BROOKS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to have comments and read every one.. thank you!

Popular Posts