The end of September

Hello if you've come here from Linda Tieu's Blog Hop  :) And if you haven't you might like to pop over there and click on the links to the other artist blogs!



I've spent the last few days working on speculative ideas for a card company - around commissions for wooden moons from Moobaacluck which are proving very popular! We had a friend here today having her jewellery creations photographed by my husband, I happened to show her a customer's order wrapped up with my new branding stickers (which arrived today from Printed.com along with my new squirrel enclosures) - and she decided then and there to order one for someone in her family.



Among the work I did over the weekend  was a card based on the floral elements in the textile print in the previous post which I was so pleased with once I'd finished. I'd buy it!  If it doesn't get through to the selection process I shall use these elements to make a design for my own ranges. This isn't the design - just a section of the elements I played with.


I spent a little while sketching stems with a feather dipped in ink and drew with a brush too. Today I felt that I was making some progress in the way I like to work.

I also painted a large acrylic of spring flowers today, partly from reference, partly from imagination. I am not sure how I feel about it but need to take a good photo to send to my client. I think it would make a great greeting card - which is why I did it! but I need to do a whole lot more painting to move my style on. The only way to achieve that is to paint, paint, paint.

I come from a paint what you see background - you're primarily taught at school to represent what you see in a life like way, at least I was; and then at art college I loved life drawing. Realistic paintings are not really the paintings I'm so keen on personally, but I do like representational painting. My painting was a little rooted in my past but I can see good bits, the colour is good and I  learned something about what I like to paint.  I read a bio from one of my favourite painters -  Charlotte Hardy - today too:

"I am drawn to pattern and colour, often from domestic interiors. I am trying to convey the richness of my initial inspiration, simplifying the subject matter to its most important elements. My whole way of working stems from universtity, where I would draw and paint collections of ornamental objects, exploring playful compositions with a strong design element."

When I was at art college I focused on painting people primarily but there was always an underlying love of still life from an early age. Reading what Charlotte wrote was like not exactly like a lightbulb going off - more like finally turning to face a forest of candles burning half way down their wicks.

How do you view your progress in art? Do you think there are areas you've deliberately turned your back on for some reason? Are there images you dream of  or styles of painting you'd like to investigate but push to the bottom of the list?

Comments

  1. thanks for joining in on the blog hop! sounds like you've had a great month!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to have comments and read every one.. thank you!

Popular Posts